Monday, November 7, 2011

Why my children think I'm a miracle worker

My children think I'm miraculous. Really, they do. Am I suggesting that they think I am somehow superior in knowledge, wisdom, beauty? No, certainly not. Like the woman in Proverbs 31, do my children rise and call me blessed. Ummm, no...not even close. SO, why do I say my chidren think I am miraculous? Because, only a daily basis, they think I can get blood from a turnip.

If you are not familiar with the the phrase "you can't get blood from a turnip", the basic idea is that you cannot get something from a thing or person that is not already inside it. Turnips do not contain blood. Therefore, you cannot cut, squeeze, or force blood from a turnip. Most people use the phrase to mean that you cannot get money from someone that does not have it. (That is the point where my children think I am miraculous.)

My children think I have an endless supply of energy, strength and money to make all of their desires come true. Of course, I do not. But I do rely upon My Provider, My Jehovah Jireh to help me be able to meet all of our needs.  Do dollar bills fall from heaven? No. However, God uses people and situations to help me meet all of my time, energy, and financial obligations. When I have two places to be at one time, I just pray about it, and somehow it all works out. I receive little blessings along the way...an unexpected refund check, a $200 check for speaking at a church, someone randomly giving me $100 towards my children's school clothes, help from my parents, finding things I need on sale.. and many other things too numerous to tell. When my kids are arguing or hurting or when I have difficult decisions to make, I pray and ask God for the wisdom and strength to know what to do. Or when the kids are not here and the house is way too quiet, I pray and ask God for the wisdom and strength to know what to do about that as well.

I have two framed scriptures in my bedroom. One of them, Philippians 4:13, says "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength." The other, Psalm 91:2, says "I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: My God in whom I trust."  In my bathroom, I have framed Hebrews 11:1  "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." Those three scriptures are a good example of what we have to do when we are running low on strength, energy, finances or wisdom.

1.First, proclaim the Word over your situation by saying that you WILL be able to do all that you need to do, with Christ's strength, working through you. (I mean that literally...actually say it out loud and believe it).

2. Second, rest in God as your refuge and trust in Him to meet your need.

3. Third, claim by faith that you have what you need, even before you see it. 

After you have claimed those scriptures, if you are still not sure, then take a look at your own life. Make sure that you have done all that YOU need to do.  Are you saved? Have you committed your life to Christ? Have you confessed any sin in your life? Do you pay your tithes (a tenth of your income?)  Is there anyone that you need to forgive or ask forgiveness from? Is there anything that you need to go and make right? (I've had to do that before and its not easy..but it is necessary).

Consider sowing a "seed" of time, money, or talent into another person or ministry. If you do not have money to give, offer your time or a skill that you have and give it to a church, ministry, or a needy person for free.  Luke 6:38 says "Give and it will be given to you, good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over..."

Finally, when God meets your need in an amazing or miraculous way...make sure to tell it. Give him the credit. Give him the Praise. The Bible says we overcome by the blood of the Lamb and the word of our testimony. Give your testimony TODAY to someone about what God has done for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment