Friday, November 18, 2011

Have you ever been tricked...fooled...or believed a lie? 

A few years ago, a co-worker gave me some of the greatest advice I have ever been given. Unfortunately, it took me several months before I took her advice! I had a problem in my life that involved another person. My co-worker advised me to call the person. I refused. My pride wouldn't let me. I was too angry and too hurt. My co-worker said "Look, you need to call them and get to the bottom of the issue. Find out the truth. I guarantee you that the other person is a nice person just like you are. Both of you are being lied to about one another. This person is not your enemy. The real problem here is the person that is lying to both of you". I still refused to call the person. I felt the other person was the one wrong, so I did not feel that I should have to call them.

Several months went by. The problem got worse. I felt worse. Finally, I couldn't take it any more and I called the person. Guess what? My co-worker was exactly right! The other individual was a decent person who was in a bad situation and was being lied to. The other person never intended to hurt me at all. They wouldn't have ever acted the way that they did, had they known the truth. They apologized for any hurt they had caused me. When the truth was revealed, the issue between me and that person was resolved.

When you are being lied to, or deceived, you will say or do things that you would not normally do or say. You are acting based upon false information. I've been lied to and I've been lied about. I'm sure you have experienced the same thing. Even though its extremely hurtful to be lied to or lied about by others, the most deadly lies do not come from other people.

The Bible calls Satan "The Deceiver" or "The Father of Lies".  
He will lie to you about yourself. "You are stupid," "You can't do anything right," "You will fail," You will never finish school" "You will always be alone," "No one will love you," "You won't be healed," "You'll never lose weight," "You're ugly"  "You've ruined your chance. You can never fix this". "Its too late" and on and on.
He will lie to you about others "She thinks she's better than you" "They don't really love you," "He thinks he's so...." "She's talking about you" "He's out to get you". "They'll never change".

He also wants to lie to you about himself and about God.  Satan would love for you to think that he does not exist and there is no hell. He twists the truth about God. He makes people think  "a loving  God would not send anyone to hell." (God is loving, that is true...but he also created us with a free will to choose life or death, heaven or hell).
He allows people to deceive themselves about sin.
"That's not really a sin, you can't go to hell for that..." "My situation is different, its not a sin, because we are meant to be together".  "I was born that way, its just how I am"
He causes people to be deceived about salvation 
He causes people to think that believing in God or believing in the power of prayer automatically makes them a Christian. He wants people to think that if they are a "good person" they are going to heaven. (In order to be saved, we have to believe in God and his son Jesus, ask forgiveness of our sins and accept Christ into our hearts . Its not our "goodness" that gets us to Heaven..Its what Jesus did for us when he paid the price for our sins on the cross!)


The Bible says that when a person is an unbeliever, or not a Christian, its because Satan has blinded the person to the truth. 2 Corinthians 4:4 says "The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God".  If you are praying for an unbeliever, pray that their eyes are opened to the truth!

Ask God to reveal the truth to you about Himself. To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, "If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free!"


If you have an issue in your life that needs to be resolved with another person, pray that God will reveal the truth to you...even if its means you're the one who's wrong...even if the truth hurts! Believe that the truth will set you free!

Is there someone in your life that you need to go tell the truth to or share the truth of the gospel with?

No comments:

Post a Comment