Monday, November 14, 2011

Ho, Ho, Ho! or Bah Humbug? Your Perspective Can Turn On A Dime!

"Joy to the World the Lord is Come...."

 Have you heard any Christmas songs being played in the stores yet? I already have. Christmas decorations have been in some stores for a couple of months. For some of you, those songs and decorations may have gotten you all excited and in the Christmas spirit. For others, it may fill you with an anxiety or dread or sadness.

Last week, my son wanted to wrap Christmas presents while listening to Christmas music. We had a great time. (Our gifts from Santa are all now wrapped up and hidden at an undisclosed location far away from the sneaky, "peeky", little snoopers that live here.)  I'm praying and believing for a joy-filled Christmas this year. I've already made plans to do some things I've never done before.

Last year at this time, however, I was really, really dreading Christmas. Those first Christmas decorations in stores in October  and early November were just more than I could take! The thought came to me at work one day that instead of dreading it so much, I should just face it head on and embrace it. I decided I would really go all out.  So, a few days later ,my three children and I went into the attic to get down our Christmas decorations. We had only hauled a few boxes down into the living room when my daughter started crying and ran into her bedroom and fell across her bed sobbing. We were in a new house and a new situation and Christmas would never be the same. The Christmas decorations brought back a flood of memories for her that were more than she could handle at that moment. So, the boys and I quickly put the boxes up and decided we would wait a few days. We all went back into the attic and had a great time looking through old boxes of my mementos...birthday cards, pictures, report cards, Geometry tests I had failed...good times, good times.

Christmas is supposed to be a season of joy. If so, why does it make so many people depressed or anxious?  If we are celebrating our Saviour's birth, why are people sad or worried? Because Christmas is also about family and friends. For people who have recently lost a loved one or lost their good health or whose finances are tight this year due to a lost job, Christmas can be a reminder of the loss. Memories of happier times can dampen our spirits.

I have always been a Christmas "nut"...I thought that people that didn't like Christmas had something wrong with them. I thought, "What's not to like about Christmas?"  Its amazing how quickly our perspective can change. The last two Christmases were hard for me. Did I love Jesus any less? No. Was I still thankful for our Savior's birth? Yes. Seasons in our lives change and that can change our perspective. Ecclesiastes says "there is a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance..." This may be your season of weeping, but that does not mean that your season of joy will never return.

If you or a friend is struggling with the upcoming Christmas season of "joy", what can you do about it? Admit it, acknowledge it, talk about it with a friend. You cannot force yourself or anyone else to be joyful. You do have to grieve your loss. But you can take one little baby step at a time, putting one foot in front of the other... Start praying about it now. Use this time as a time to get closer to God. Pray and ask God to help you to restore your joy.

In Psalms we read the psalmist crying out to God "Restore to me the joy of your salvation. " (Psalm 51:12). Jesus promised his disciples "You will grieve but your grief will turn to joy...and no one will take away your joy." (John 16:20,22). Claim that verse for yourself and quote it each day.

Do something positive. Sow a seed of kindness or love towards your future harvest of joy. Think of things you can do in memory or honor of that loved one that passed away. Start new traditions. Find someone who needs you and do something nice for them. Send some anonymous gifts..put money in a card and leave it on a co-workers desk. Think of someone from your past like an old Sunday School teacher who was special to you or special to your loved one and send them a thank you card and a little gift. Volunteer to "ring the bell' for the Salvation army or give of your time in some way that you never have. Do something to honor your memories of happier times and to thank God for them. Make a list of things you are thankful for and read it out loud each day as a praise to God.

Last year, I was really dreading Christmas day. After my children opened their presents, they would be leaving around 9:00 am and be gone all day. I knew it was going to be hard for me. So, I made a plan of action in advance. I called the nursing home and got permission to go on Christmas day. I took gifts and visited with residents and sang Christmas songs with them and prayed with them. Some of those people are not here this Christmas. I learned that one of the ladies I visited passed away shortly after Christmas. I'm so glad I went! I've already prayed about something to do on Christmas day this year, and God has already given me something to do to bless someone else. I didn't even have to look for it. It came to me.

Find a way to sow some "seed" this Christmas, whether it is monetary or just sowing time and love into someone's life.  Sow it with expectation for your harvest of joy!

"He who goes out weeping, carrying seed to sow, will return with songs of joy, carrying sheaves with him "(Psalm 126:6)

No comments:

Post a Comment