Sunday, November 20, 2011

Shadrach, Meshach, and a Bendy Goat

 It's that time of year again!

One of my favorite Christmas traditions that I enjoy each year is directing the children's Christmas program. I love the challenge. You never know what's going to happen. Among my favorites are the year that the "rooster" in the manger scene turned around and shook his tail at the audience and smacked himself on the rear end.... and the year that one of my shepherds used his shepherd's staff as a gun to "shoot" at the audience.

No matter what happens at practice or how crazy it gets on the day of the play, there's nothing more precious than to see kids acting out the story of the nativity (even if one of the shepherds takes out the  whole front row!)  When they are dressed as shepherds or angels or wise men, its not just so Grandma can be proud and take a whole roll of film or fill up a whole memory card taking pictures of her precious grandbabies. We' re also teaching the kids the Bible and the stories of the Bible...and I promise you they won't forget it. They may go through some rebellious years and try your patience, but the Bible promises in Proverbs: "Train up a child in the way that he should go, and when he is old, he will not depart from it".

It's important that we teach our children and the children of others if we do not have our own, about  the Heroes of the faith..Noah, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Moses, Gideon, Samson, David... (Read Hebrews Chapter 11). I still remember my Mom reading Bible stories to me before bed each night.  Esther and Gideon were two of my favorite stories. (I'm a little partial to the story of Ruth and Boaz these days...you know what I'm saying!) 

 Children may be immature or have short attention spans and may not comprehend everything that is taught to them, but just keep sowing that seed and planting the Word of God in their hearts.  My youngest son and I had a conversation when he was about 8 years old and he said something about the Bible story of Shadrach, Meschach, and A Bendy Goat. Yep...he really said,  "A Bendy Goat." (Immediately I got a picture in my mind of two Hebrew children in the fiery furnace along side a really flexible goat doing back bends or toe touches or something.)

Even if they don't get all the details correct, the Bible that we teach them today will stay in their hearts for many years to come. I still remember the scriptural benediction that we spoke at the end of service every Wednesday night at my home church when I was growing up. "Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength and my Redeemer. Amen."  As much as I hate to admit it...that's been almost thirty years ago! That word was hidden in my heart many years ago and its still there and embedded in my memory. The Bible says that God's word does not return to him empty, but will accomplish what He desires and achieve the purpose for which He sent it. 

During his earthly ministry, Jesus placed an emphasis on the importance of children.  When his disciples basically tried to "shoo away" children that were surrounding him, Jesus told the adults that they should receive the kingdom of God with the same child-like faith .

Mark 10:14-16 Suffer the little children to come unto me and forbid them not, for of such is the kingdom of God. Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child, he shall not enter therein. And he took them up in his arms, put his hands upon them, and blessed them.

Jesus also warned us about  how we should treat a child or even a new "baby"Christian who is a child in the faith.



Matthew 18:6 But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea. 
Matthew  18:10 Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven. 
Matthew 18:14 Even so it is not the will of your Father which is in heaven, that one of these little ones should perish.

Just like children, sometimes new Christians get things a little confused and make mistakes. In the same way that I did not scold my son for believing that "A Bendy Goat" was one of the Hebrew children, we have to extend that same grace, understanding and mercy to new Christians. Christian maturity is a process that we are all striving for! As mature Christians, we sometimes expect someone to get saved today and start acting like Billy Graham tomorrow. To be honest, as a "mature" Christian I have really blown it sometimes myself and had to ask for forgiveness, grace and mercy...and I knew better! Be patient with your children and with new Christians. You never know when you might need a do-over yourself!

Start investing some time to train up a child or to help a new Christian in their faith journey! I promise, you will be blessed! 

No comments:

Post a Comment