Thursday, January 19, 2012

I've Got A Certified Man-Catcher!

Okay, guys. Valentine's day is fast approaching. DO NOT be one of those men scrounging around the left-over "slim pickings" on the Valentine's Day card aisle at Wal Mart on February 14. Go get your sweetie something good... NOW!  And ladies...do not buy that man something that you would like on Valentine's Day. Do not embarrass that man with flowers at work. Get him something a man likes, please. 

Write your sweetie a love letter before Valentine's Day. Don't wait until then to tell them how you feel. And by all means...if you have a Christian spouse or Christian boyfriend or girlfriend, then be thankful. I know she may not be as thin as she used to and he may not have as much hair as he used to. I'm sure that the two of you can think of plenty of little things that just drive each other crazy. However, having a Christian mate is a priceless treasure. Find a way today to thank your mate for being a Christian companion to you. Ladies, go out and buy the book "The Love Dare" that came from the movie Fireproof and start doing all the little love dares. Men, why don't you send your wife some flowers, today? I promise you that you will like the results!

Be sure to take time today to thank God for your Christian mate. Check out some of Stormie O'Martian's books such as "The Power of a Praying Wife" or "The Power of a Praying Husband" and get in the habit of praying specific scripture prayers for your spouse every day. When you pray specifically for your spouse each day, you will be surprised at how your feelings for that person will deepen, even if things are not so "rosy" between the two of you right now. Make time each day for you and your spouse to pray together. Be thankful that you have one another and that you both have Christ as the center of your relationship.

I got a random text message from a friend recently that said, "I just want a Christian man. Why is that so hard?" Honey, if I knew the answer to that one, I'd be a wealthy woman right now! Seems lately that all my single friends are looking a good Christian man and some of the married folks I know are looking a way out. I guess the grass is always greener on the other side. (Or at least the devil wants you to think that it is. I saw a facebook post a while back that said "The grass is greener over the septic tank, too!" ).

There is a store in Goldsboro that I like to visit on my lunch break. They sell purses, shoes, and lots of sparkly, shiny (perhaps, gaudy) costume jewelry...and I LOVE IT! The owner gets all excited when I come in. (Yes, I know why he gets all excited. Its not me he wants to see, its that green stuff in my wallet!)  We like to tease and joke with one another. He's one of those salesmen that tell you how fabulous you look in everything you try on. I just laugh at him and tell him that he should be selling used cars. A few months ago, I visited the store and eyed a purple rhinestone ring. It was one of those large stretch rings that are popular now. The owner spotted me eyeing the rings. He said, "Oh, you need to get one of those. They're certified man-catchers."  I joked right back and said,"In that case, I'll buy one for every finger!"

I settled for a large purple ring and a large, clear rhinestone one as well. After wearing one of the rings a few times, I decided that the store owner was actually correct! Those rings draw a lot of attention. Every time I wear one of them, I will get several comments through out the day. The rings may not be certified man-catchers but they are certainly attention-getters. If you place one of them on your left ring finger it does draw attention to the fact that you are not wearing a wedding ring. So...maybe he really did know what he was talking about!

Yesterday, I was sitting at a restaurant and an older couple sat at the table beside me. I was wearing the clear, rhinestone stretch ring. The gentleman said, "Wow, that's some ring you're wearing. I've never bought my wife one like that before. I bought her the ring she's wearing fifty-three years ago . I had to save up a long time to buy that ring. I've tried to buy her a better one a few times over the years, but she won't let me. She's still wearing that one. I went into the jewelry store to buy that ring fifty-three years ago and I got a parking ticket while I was in the store. I've still got the parking ticket at home".  He just smiled to himself. I smiled back and said, "No, that ring she's wearing could never be replaced."  I told them the funny story about the salesman calling my ring a man-catcher.The wife leaned over and looked at my ring. She said, "It is a pretty ring...just on someone else's finger".


Isn't that sweet? They were such a beautiful little couple. The wife admired my ring, but admitted that it wasn't for her. That's an example of a true love story. She was sticking with the one that she had. That's what a Christian relationship is all about. When I walked out to leave the restaurant, the gentleman smiled at me and said, "Good luck with that ring. I hope you find what you're looking for!"

Men and women were created with a longing to find a partner. God made us that way. When God made Adam, he said, "It is not good for man to be alone". God created Eve especially for Adam. Everyone has a longing to find that "someone special". When we do find our marriage partner, we are supposed to be together for a life-time commitment, like the sweet little couple above.


Matthew 19:4-6

He answered, “Have you not read that he who created them from the beginning made them male and female, and said, ‘Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh’. So they are no longer two but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let not man separate.”


Whether you have found you lifetime partner or if you're still single and looking, its not easy. The single life can be hard and married life can be difficult, too. Well, here's my advice to all:

If you're single and on the dating scene, don't settle. Having been single for the last two years, I've learned that the single scene is rough these days and the whole dating game has changed. (People asking you out on Facebook, really??)  Just stick to your standards.
If you are a Christian, you will be much happier alone than you will if you date a non-Christian. Now, I don't just mean just find someone that goes to church or someone that believes that God exists. I mean a true Bible-reading, praying, testifying, praising CHRISTIAN. Folks will say anything to get you to go out with them. Folks will visit church and pretend to be interested when they are still chasing you. You need someone who has a strong faith of their own, with or without you!

When someone asks me out, I don't even consider a dinner, a lunch or even a coffee until I know what their relationship is with Jesus Christ. Now, some folks may say, "What would it hurt to at least talk or go out for coffee? You could at least get a nice meal out of it." NOPE!  I ask any man that wants to date me, "What is your relationship with Jesus Christ?" Some never make it past that question! Then, I ask, "What is God doing in your life right now?" That can be quite amusing, actually, because some folks have no idea how to answer that question. Single folks, I promise you that if someone can't answer that question they are not the right man or woman for you! Don't give up too soon. If you settle for dating Mr. or Mrs. Right Now, because you are bored and just want someone to hang out with, you may miss The Mrs. Right or The Mr. Right that GOD has for you!

If you're married, then stop looking! Nothing good will ever come of comparing your spouse to someone else. (You don't know what the other person is like behind closed doors any way!)  If you and your spouse are both Christian, then thank God! Do whatever you can do to work through any issues that you have. If you're in a rough patch right now, do all that you can to work it out, even if you're the only one trying. Somebody has to make the first move. Let it be you! Get on your knees and start praying. Go to a Christian marriage counselor, even if you have to go by yourself. There are hundreds of books available by Christian authors and counselors on this subject. Dr. Gary Smalley, Dr. Gary Chapman, Drs. Les & Leslie Parrott and Dr. Emerson Eggerich have all written excellent books on the subject. There are many more books on the subject that can be found at a Christian bookstore or on Amazon.com.

If things are good in your relationship, then celebrate! Let your spouse know what a blessing they are to you. Praise them and start doing some acts of service or kindness that they are not expecting. Find ways to grow as a Christian couple.


Proverbs 5:18 May your fountain be blessed, and may you rejoice in the wife of your youth.


If you are married and you are a Christian and your spouse it not...that's not easy. Don't nag. Just pray. Check out "Beloved Unbeliever" by Jo Berry or "How to Pray When He Doesn't Believe" by Maureen "Mo" Tizzard. Both books are excellent. Just keep praying. Don't ever give up on them!


1 Corinthians 7:13-14
And if a Christian woman has a husband who is not a believer and he is willing to continue living with her, she must not leave him. For the unbelieving husband has been sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy.

The same scripture above applies to Christian men who are married to unbelieving wives. Don't ever give up. Keep praying and believing for their salvation. Be persistent, regardless of how things look. The Bible says that the effectual, fervent prayer of the righteous availeth much! That means there's power in your persistent prayers! Just remember that you are not fighting against "flesh and blood" (your spouse), you are struggling with the spiritual forces of darkness that are in the world as a result of Satan. Your spouse is not the enemy, though it may feel like it at times. It's not that they don't love you, even though they may say or do hurtful things. I guarantee you that they really do love you. The problem is that what is inside of them hates the God that is inside of you. Try not to take it personally.  Are they nice to everybody but you? You've probably got a spiritual warfare issue on your hands. This problem will be solved on your knees in prayer. Find a strong Christian friend that can pray and agree with you and be a sounding board. (Make sure that it is a same sex friend. It is not a good idea to have this person be a member of the opposite sex). Just keep praying!


Be thankful for the mate that God has blessed you with and show them some appreciation today for their good qualities! Pray for your partner today. If you're single, then start praying now for that Christian cutie that God is going to bless you with!

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful post...you are so talented! I am so blessed to call you my friend. Love you girl!

    ReplyDelete