Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Are You Simply Exhausted?

This is a little F.Y.I. (for your information) tip that may also be considered T.M.I. (too much information)...but here goes... When your child is sick with a virus and is throwing up and you feel so bad for them...DO NOT ask them what flavor or color of gatorade they would like for you to purchase for them. Just buy the clear or yellow gatorade. Why? Because, if you ask them which kind they prefer, inevitably they will say "RED!" Guess what I have been doing this evening??? Getting recycled red Gatorade out of my carpets, bathroom rugs, walls, sheets, pillows, comforter, etc. Yes, that was indeed too much information. However, I felt it was my duty to warn you in case the virulent virus attacks your home and loved ones.

It has been over a month since my last blog post. How have you managed to survive the last month without such wise advice as the above mentioned Gatorade warning? Somehow you muddled through. Of course, I'm joking. With your busy life and responsibilities, I'm sure  you have little time to be concerned with someone else's blog. With all that has been going on in my own life, I simply haven't had the time to work on my blog. Not quite a month ago, I had my 10 month old God-son placed in my home. He's been here ever since. Things have been quite busy ever since.

Since that time, I have developed some type of upper respiratory infection often referred to as "the crud".  My children developed it as well. Fever, chills, sniffles, coughing, body aches...all the fun stuff. Now, the ubiquitous "stomach bug" has paid us a visit. Fun stuff!

We all have times in our lives that are less than glamorous and not exactly fun. Then there are those times in our lives when things take an even more serious turn and we face obstacles such as job loss, serious illness, injury, or the passing of a loved one. The Bible says that time and chance happen to us all. Christians and non-believers alike face their times of struggle or testing.

Whatever you are going through right now, know that you are not alone. You have a heavenly Father that will never leave you nor forsake you. He's always there. Maybe you are caring for a sick family member or you are responsible for the care of an aging parent. Perhaps you are concerned about finances, relationship issues, or your own health. All of these things can cause us to worry. Our worries can lead us down the road towards fear. Remember that God has not given you a spirit of fear, but power, love, and a sound mind!

Find some time to get alone to God and cry out to Him about your worries, concerns, and fears. Don't just find the time...MAKE the time. In the hectic pace of our daily lives, its just too easy to keep putting off our time alone with God. However, the busier you are and the more responsibilities that are placed upon your shoulders...the more important it is to find that time alone with God. Confide in a Christian friend and ask them to be a prayer partner for you during this difficult season of your life.  The Bible tells us to bear one another's burdens. Two are better than one, because a Christian brother or sister can lift you up when you fall.

Also, remember to do something nice for yourself when you are in the middle of difficult times. You can't be the best mom, dad, wife, husband, employee, etc. that you can be if you are not taking care of yourself.  When the safety instructions are given on an airplane, adults are told to put on their own oxygen mask first in an emergency, before they attempt to put it on their child or a disabled adult. In an airplane emergency, you have to get the oxygen that you need if you are going to be able to care for the child or sick person. The same principle applies when you are fulfilling your daily duties and responsibilities of life. You cannot provide the care that your children and family members need if you are not taking good care of yourself as well. Your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit. You are God's workmanship. Take care of His good work!

Finally, don't forget to ask for help when you need it.. God does not expect you to be superman or superwoman. That's pride that makes you think that you can do it all by yourself! God knows that you need rest. God rested on the Sabbath and HE'S PERFECT! How have you been spending your Sabbath? Are you truly taking time to rest?

Have you ever been completely exhausted? Physically, emotionally, mentally exhausted. The cares of life can sometimes get us to that point. True and complete rest comes from God. Cast your cares upon Him, because He cares so much for you! Yes, that sounds like a Christian cliche...but it is scriptural. Give your worries to God and trust Him to handle it.  Did He clean my carpets or bathroom walls? No. But He gave me the strength to keep going till I got it done. I'm giving thanks to God that the baby slept through the whole cleaning episode.

Today, enter into the rest that only comes from God. Cut the television or computer off a little early, and spend some time talking to and resting in God!

Matthew 11:28-30 
 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

1 comment:

  1. Glad to "see" you back. I hope everyone is well soon! Praying for you guys!

    ReplyDelete