Sunday, January 8, 2012

What Kind of Message Are You Sending?

Today has been an interesting day to say the least. 

I taught children's church during the 9:00 am service. I had just enough time (so I thought) to run to Dollar Tree just down the street and pick up a few extra stickers for our craft before the 11:00 am service started. Of course, the line was long and the cashier was moving at a snail's pace. So, I only had a few minutes to spare when I sat down in my vehicle and opened my purse to get out my keys and head back to church. Suddenly a confused woman opened the driver's side door where I was sitting and tried to get in my car! At first, I didn't realize who it was and didn't know if it was a man or woman or rapist or car-jacker or whatever, and I screamed. I think I scared her more than she scared me. Once I looked at her and my brain had time to process what had just happened, I realized she was just confused and I probably could have beat her up if I had to! However, I continued to be startled and nervous from the scare of having my driver's side door yanked open. I was so befuddled and confused that I then couldn't remember where I had put my keys and spent five minutes looking through my purse and my church bag for my keys. I ended up being late for children's church and had about 13 kids waiting for me!

After church, I met a friend for lunch at Denny's. I told the waitress that she looked just like someone I knew.(She really did). I think she thought I was trying to flirt with her. (Trust me, I wasn't).  When I told her that she looked like someone I knew, she winked at my friend. After I left the restaurant, she told the person that I was eating lunch with, "Your girlfriend is cute". Apparently, I sent the wrong message. I'm thinking I may have to go to Shoney's next time I'm craving breakfast for lunch.

Okay...I've learned some valuable lessons today. Let me make a public service announcement:

1. As soon as you sit in your vehicle, lock your door. Do not look your keys first or crank the car first.
2. NEVER tell anyone that they look like someone you know, even if they really do. They will think its a pick-up line.You don't want to send the wrong message.

You have to be careful these days about what kind of message you are sending.
I talk to my children frequently about how they need to be careful about what kind of messages that they are sending, especially online. Many young people have gotten turned down for colleges or scholarships or jobs because a potential employer or interviewer viewed that young person's MySpace page and found inappropriate content or careless comments.

I'm sure you've read people's FACEBOOK posts about where they are going to be all day long or when they are going on vacation and how long they are going to be gone. Even though its not inappropriate, that's not a wise message to send, either. It lets folks know when would be a good time to break into your house! I'm sure you know adults that love to get on FACEBOOK and rant and rave about who they are upset with. My kids have a cousin who likes to complain about his job on Facebook. What's going to happen when his employer reads that one day? Think about the messages you are sending.

You have to be careful about what kind of message you are sending, whether its posting things online, sending text messages, or speaking to another person. Our words have power. The Bible says that you have the power of life and death in your tongue.The Bible has a lot to say about the power of your words and the importance of guarding your speech.

Ephesians 4:29 Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.

Matthew 12:36 I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak,

Proverbs 16:24 Gracious words are like a honeycomb, sweetness to the soul and health to the body.

Colossians 3:8 But now you must put them all away: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and obscene talk from your mouth.

Proverbs 13:3 Whoever guards his mouth preserves his life; he who opens wide his lips comes to ruin.

James 1:26 If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person's religion is worthless.

Matthew 12:37 For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.

Proverbs 21:23Whoever keeps his mouth and his tongue keeps himself out of trouble.

Proverbs 29:20 Do you see a man who is hasty in his words? There is more hope for a fool than for him.

Proverbs 15:1 A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.

Psalm 19:14 Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.

Proverbs 15:4 A gentle tongue is a tree of life, but perverseness in it breaks the spirit.

Proverbs 15:2 The tongue of the wise commends knowledge, but the mouths of fools pour out folly.

Proverbs 17:27 Whoever restrains his words has knowledge, and he who has a cool spirit is a man of understanding.

Romans 12:14 Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them.

Luke 6:45 The good person out of the good treasure of his heart produces good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure produces evil, for out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks.

Proverbs 25:11 A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in a setting of silver.

Proverbs 17:28 Even a fool who keeps silent is considered wise; when he closes his lips, he is deemed intelligent.

Well, according to the verse directly above, if you want to seem smarter...say less! That's powerful. So, on that note...Good Night and God Bless!

1 comment:

  1. Girl...you never cease to amaze me! Your "blobs" just get better and better...I loved it!

    ReplyDelete