Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Does Running Late Count as Exercise?

This weekend, I participated in a fund-raiser for my daughter's high school band and opened my home up as part of a Christmas parade of homes tour. People purchased tickets to view six homes in the area, including mine, that were decorated for Christmas and all of the proceeds went to support the local high school band.

In preparation, I got out my Christmas decorations earlier than usual and carefully set up all of my indoor decorations and made some new wreaths and decorations for the outside of my home. I had everything as neat and orderly as this house could possibly be and had Christmas decorations in each room of the house, including 4 regular size trees and four mini-trees.  Each bedroom had a tree decorated to match the decor of the bedroom and a wreath hung on the bedroom door. I even decorated a tree on the porch. So, would you like to know what item in my home received the most comments of appreciation?

Would it be the dining room table I set with my Christmas china and stemware, or the Christmas China in my china cabinet that I carefully arranged, the pictures of my three precious children hung on the wall, the scripture plaques hung over the doorways and framed on my dresser, the hand-carved rosewood nativity scene from Africa that was brought to the United States from a special family friend that is a missionary to Africa? NO, no, no! The item that garnered the most comment, the most laughter, the most appreciation, was the small sign hanging from the doorknob of my bathroom closet that reads "Does running late count as exercise?" Yes, the sign hanging on the on the closet door where I keep my toilet paper, scrubbing bubbles, and toilet brush was the most admired item in my home. Yes, the sign that depicts my propensity towards tardiness and apparently, laziness! (I'm a real class act!)

A few people commented on my manger scenes or the shelves built over my doorways and windows, but people really liked that sign on the bathroom closet. Why do you think that is? I think its because people can relate! People know what its like to be behind schedule and hurrying about on the harried pace of life that most people place themselves these days. I also think its because people like it when someone is real and transparent and doesn't take themselves too seriously. People like it when someone is honest about their issues and doesn't try to hide it!

I recently had a conversation with a friend regarding the new man in her life. I advised her, "Look, the question  to ask yourself is not, "Does he have issues?" Of course he has issues. Everyone has them. The question you need to ask yourself is, "What are his issues and can I live with them?"  (That's free advice, ya'll. Take it while you can. When I ever finish that Master's Degree in Counseling, I'm going to be charging folks $150.00 an hour for this stuff! Ha! Ha!)

I have noticed that when I am writing my blogs or when I am speaking at church, people  just want to hear someone that is "real". People don't want to hear someone go on about how their life is so wonderful and everything is so perfect. That just makes folks want to throw up! (I know you know someone who does that or constantly brags.  I bet it really gets on your nerves!) People don't want to hear about perfection. They just want to hear real stories of how you are surviving, how you are struggling with your own imperfections and are striving to improve.  

James 5:16 says "Confess your faults to one another and pray for one another, so that you may be healed. The effectual, fervent prayer of the righteous man availeth much".

If we aren't willing to admit our own sins or areas for improvement, then how can we ask forgiveness from God or ask fellow Christians to help us pray?. I think the reason that some people do not commit their lives to Christ, is related to their own pride. They can't admit that they have done anything wrong or that they are in need of a Savior.

The Bible has many verses dedicated to the pitfalls of being too proud.
When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom. Proverbs 11:2

Before his downfall a man’s heart is proud, but humility comes before honor. Proverbs 18:12   
Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall. Proverbs 16:18

Have you ever had to put up a front or pretense and pretend that everything was fine, when it really wasn't? That is no way to live. Many of us walk around with our "masks" on, trying to pretend that everything is okay. Have you ever hid behind a smile and pretended that everything was just wonderful when you really longed to tell someone everything that was really going on? Maybe you would have just liked a hug or to cry on someone's shoulder, but you kept a stiff upper lip because you were ashamed to admit the problem to someone.

I've cried all the way to church on many occasions and then taught children's church or Sunday school and played the keyboard or directed the children's choir and carried on as if nothing were wrong and then cried all the way back home. I've just decided that I am not going to do that anymore. The older I get, the more I learn that it doesn't really matter what other people think. (If the truth were told, the people that you're worried about impressing or worried about not making yourself look bad in front of them, probably have more issues than you!) Now, If I need prayer, I am going to ask for it. If I need deliverance, I am going to ask someone to pray and believe God with me for the help that I need.

  You don't have to bear your hurts alone. There are good Christians out there who would love to pray for you and encourage you. It would probably surprise you to find out some people that you know that have gone through the same issue that you are going through right now.We need the support of good Christian friends to help us when we are struggling or to pray for us to overcome an issue in our lives.

Ecclesiaster 4:9-11 says
Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor:
 If either of them falls down, one can help the other up. But pity anyone who falls
 and has no one to help them up. Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm.But how can one keep warm alone?   

We are to help one another and encourage one another when we are burdened with the difficulties of life. Galations 6: 2 says "Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ."

I encourage you today...tell somebody one of your issues and ask them to help you pray about it. Tell someone about an issue you once had and how God helped you overcome it. I guarantee you that someone needs to hear your story!
 
We overcome by the blood of the Lamb and the word of our testimony! Find a way to share your testimony today!


1 comment:

  1. For the record, those of us who have you on our google reader feed don't show up as followers, but we are following! :) Love you, girl!

    ReplyDelete